Friday, July 19, 2013

Looking For A Summer Read?

If you are looking for some (GREAT) books to read while tanning by the pool, I have a collection of recommendations! But I'll limit them to just 3 books today! As some of you know, in the past couple of years, books have been my haven. Once High School was out, I started reading for fun! Weird I know! (Especially considering I never really liked reading throughout High School) So over the past 3 years I've accumulated close to 20-30 books that I will forever hold dear to my heart. Some are full of life lessons, and others are just cute stories. This brings me to my first recommendation!



 Catcher in the Rye

Written by J.D. Salinger




In High School, one of the (very few) books I enjoyed reading was Catcher in the Rye, Written by J.D. Salinger. Written in 1951, this book was intended for adults but grew very popular by the younger crowd later in its years. Holden, the main character, always seems to be running away and can't sit still. He was in an all boys prep school with lots of rules and Holden wasn't made for rules. I fell in love with this book because I was Holden! I could completely understand his point of view and his urge to not stay in one place for too long.



The Fault in Our Stars 

Written by John Green


(Disclaimer: This book will make you laugh and cry. And cry.)

I first heard about this book through a social media, Tumblr. So many people were raving about this book called The Fault in Our Stars. I began seeing little excerpts from the book and I was hooked. I read this book in 5 DAYS. (That's extremely fast for me since I'm not usually one to come home from work and instantly begin reading at the drop of my bags!) I literally could not put this down! It's a beautiful love story between two teens who have health complications. Although that sounds like a horrible thing to read about, the good out ways the bad in this romance. I was so in love with the characters and their story, I could never put the book down! (Literally.. I'd bring it to the grocery store, work.. everywhere!)  SO beautiful and a must read!

Now for the final and last recommendation! 





The Tools

Written by Phil Stutz and Barry Michels





If you are looking for a book that will literally change your life, look no further. This book is actually a Psychology book written for you specifically! It is interactive and has pointers on how to change your life. The two authors of this book are actually licensed physiotherapists. They have case studiies that will help you understand the ways you can change your fear into courage. I'm only on chapter 3 of this book and already I'm seeing a difference in my mood, my photography and my life! It's literally transforming me into a more courageous, hopeful and creative person! From the very start of this book, its been fate! I actually found this book in New York! The day I found this book, was the day I went wandering about Brooklyn and walked past a book store. Thumbing through a couple of books, I stumbled upon this one. I'm a big believer on serendipity, and if this isn't, I don't know what is! 

Thanks for reading! I hope you have a chance to at least check out some of these books! Trust me, their all worth a read! :) I hope you're all having a fabulous summer! And don't forget the sunscreen! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Rebecca McKenzie is a Wedding and Fashion Photographer from Cypress, California.