Friday, October 25, 2013

I'm in the PAPERS!

Hello loves! Guess what! Today is Friday! And even better news?! I'm in the Newspaper! Well, The Independent Newspaper! (Its a locally run Newspaper!) I'm so excited about this! In this post, I've included the article written by Vickie Wagstaff so everyone can read all about the start of my project, "The Natural Beauty Project". I wanted to do something not only for the girls who are up and coming in our generation, but any age! I really wanted to exemplify that we, as women, are beautiful and perfect on our own. And we don't need makeup to feel pretty! You're beautiful all on your own; just let it show! And you can't do that with pounds of makeup covering your beautiful face and the magic beneath it!

If you received your Independent Newspaper this morning, check it out! I'm on the front page!!!

 No Time for Toddlers in Tiaras
 Local photographer emphasizing natural beauty
By Vickie Wagstaff


I have a confession to make.
I have never watched an episode of Honey Boo Boo – the commercials are enough to send me out of the room.
However, the other day – in a moment of sheer boredom – I watched an episode of “Toddlers and Tiaras” (the title says it all), and “Cheer Perfection” (a behind the scenes look at competition cheer leading).
It was like watching a train wreck and I am embarrassed to say that I couldn't take my eyes off the TV.
The girls on both shows we’re beautiful – without the makeup.
The physical ability displayed on “Cheer Perfection” was inspiring.
However in those two hours I saw more bare skin and more makeup on adolescent girls than I have ever displayed or wore myself in my 50+ years.
Call me old fashion if you like, but I ask you; what message are we sending our young girls?
Who says that to be valued you must have a perfect tan, perfect teeth, perfect hair and a perfect body?
This was a topic for discussion around the dinner table the other night at the McKenzie home in Buena Park; where it touched the heart of local photographer, blogist and student, Becca McKenzie.
Becca shared with me a video she had seen of a mid-west news woman that was bullied because of her weight.
That people could be so cruel of a physical trait was something that spurred Becca to action.
“There is so much ugliness in the world; I wanted to do something real – something honest,” McKenzie said.
Using her skills she started a campaign to do natural beauty portraits – meaning no makeup – inviting anyone who desired, to come forward and have their portrait taken at no cost.
 “Women deserve to be told how beautiful they are.  It is who you are on the inside that matters most because it shines through and is reflected in your entire body.”
Becca strives to find true beauty in all of her photo shoots, whether that is demonstrated by a look or a feeling conveyed through the images she captures.
 “I hope you all feel beautiful today,” states McKenzie.
“Look in the mirror and see what you're Heavenly Father sees. He sees a beautiful, intelligent, successful woman who has the potential to make a difference in this world.”
Now that is the type of messages we should be sending to young girls and women everywhere.
Follow Becca on her blog at www.rebeccamckenziephotography.blogspot.com.
Portraits are free and can be done by contacting Becca at beccamkz@gmail.com

Thank you Thank you Thank you, Vickie!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Becca! You deserve this!

    www.trendinginfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Rebecca McKenzie is a Wedding and Fashion Photographer from Cypress, California.