Monday, March 17, 2014

THE EGG OF THE PHOENIX part 2

And now... the moment we've all been waiting for.. (including myself!) Here is the very first shoot of the show. 

But first, the epilogue. The reasoning behind it all..



THE EGG OF THE PHOENIX

This time a  year ago, I was making decisions that would affect me forever; I just didn't know it yet. I surrounded myself with people who I thought I could save; from their problems, from their anxieties, their addictions and themselves. I tried to drag them out of the burning salt water that burns to the touch. But instead I fell in with them. I didn't see it or realize it until I was completely submerged in a way of thinking that shaped me into someone I had never intended to become or could even recognize. I had to be stronger than my own understanding of the word. I had to cut off every tie, every rope and drain every drop of that water out of my life. The next few months following that major decision, I often found myself alone in a dark room. I then decided I can sit there and cry about the bad things that have just occurred or I can rise from them, learn from them and most importantly, move on. So I made some promises to myself to leave it in the ashes, rise from it as a phoenix and become something great out of utter destruction. In the process, I found five people that forever changed me by breathing hope into my lifeless self. 

Each little detail of the shoots and show itself, were carefully created to symbolize each stage in my process of healing. Every location of the shoots I hold dear to my heart; for they are the places where, in the healing process, I have slowly transformed.

This, is my transformation from a sunless pile of ash, to the phoenix I didn't know I'd become.
Enjoy.





STOIC:[stoh-ik]: a person who can endure pain of hardship without showing their feelings or complaining. 





In this shoot, I used water to symbolize the depression and anger I was feeling so strongly while in the first few stages of this process. Allie McKenzie, my sister, was so great to get into the ocean water and pose; as uncomfortable as that is... There were people watching, which I'm totally used to, but my models sometimes feel funny wearing funny things in random places and posing with an audience! Not to mention waves crashing into your back and having to pose correctly. I really love that her face is very calm and yet her body is very stiff in her poses. An exact interpretation of what it feels like to be in deep water of anger and emotional turmoil.


Stay tuned! Tomorrow and the next day and the day after that, there will be shoot after shoot coming your way!

xx
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Rebecca McKenzie is a Wedding and Fashion Photographer from Cypress, California.